It’s your car’s most important safety system. Never compromise in case of the slightest doubt. Have your car inspected immediately. Brakes are a normal wear item. Eventually, they’re going to need replacement for both performance and safety reasons. Fixing the brakes at the right time can save expensive rotor or drum replacement. Some tips:
- Replace the brake fluid at manufacturer recommended intervals. Contaminated brake fluid may lead to erosion or other problems in the hydraulic system.
- Have your brake pads, drums and rotors, and brake fluid inspection periodically.
- Parking brake should also be checked for proper operation and adjustment. In some cases, parking brake shoes / pads may need replacement.
- Even if you are driving a car with an automatic transmission, use your parking brake regularly, especially if you’re parked on an incline. It helps keep the brakes adjusted in the rear of the car and makes them last longer.
- If additional fluid is required, add the right type and check for possible leaks. Don’t overfill.
- It’s best to leave the inspection, replacement and repair to an expert.