It is vital for energy supply to the starter motor, lights, ignition system etc. Some tips:
- While it seems simple, get your battery charged only by an experienced technician with access to the right charging equipment.
- Prolonged charging or charging at excessively high voltage can cause significant battery damage.
- Charge battery periodically if in prolonged storage, to retain their capacity. Batteries intended to be stored should be fully charged, cleaned of corrosion deposits and left in a cool, dry environment.
- Corrosion at the battery terminals can prevent a car from starting, by adding resistance. Coat the terminals with petroleum jelly (grease not recommended) or a commercially available anti-corrosion product.
- Have the battery electrolyte topped off at regular intervals.
- Exercise extreme caution when jump-starting.