Proper heating and cooling performance is critical for interior comfort and safety reasons such as defrosting. We expect the heater to keep us warm when it’s cold outside, and the air conditioning system to keep us cool when it’s hot. Some tips:
- Have a thorough inspection of your car’s HVAC system performed annually.
- Have a technician check pressures to test operation, refrigerant charge and outlet temperatures.
- If the system is found to be low on refrigerant, a leak test should be performed to find the source of the leak.
- A/C service should also include a check of the compressor’s drive belt and tension.
- From time to time, the A/C system needs to be recharged to bring it back up to maximum efficiency.
- Corrosion will cause the heater core (secondary radiator) to leak. This will manifest itself by letting steam into the passenger compartment and fogging your windows. You will know there is a leak by the sweet smell coming from the vents.
- It’s difficult to tell if a leak is present without specific test equipment so let it up to a professional.